Thursday, December 26, 2013

Project Journal: 2013 Christmas Jammies

Completed: December 2013

Boy Jammies:
Pattern: Simplicity 3584, Style C
Materials: Christmas Moose flannel and Circle Dots Red Snuggle Flannel from Joann Fabrics. 
Notes: This was my first time using an actual paper pattern. Once I figured out the markings and terminology the process was fairly straightforward. There were a lot of steps, way more than I'm used to, but the instructions were usually fairly easy to understand. I did get a little confused attaching the collar. I'm super happy with how they turned out. I used existing jammies that I knew fit to determine the pattern size. I'm glad I did because his measurements called for a larger size, but the jammies lined up with smaller markings on the pattern. I went with the smaller size and they fit him perfectly. Although to be fair he's extremely hard to measure..
Pattern changes: I added the cuffs using the pillowcase technique before I attached the legs and sleeves. The cuffs are each folded over with the single layer pant or sleeve sandwiched in the middle. I then obviously ignored hemming instructions for the sleeves and pants.

Girl Nightgown:
Pattern: Long Sleeve Toddler Peasant Dress Tutorial from Little Bean Workshop
Materials: Holiday Inspirations Christmas Reindeer Stripe Flannel and Houndstooth Purple Snuggle Flannel from Joann Fabrics.
Notes: This project was super simple and easy, especially following the other jammies. I completed the entire thing in one evening. I bought a yard of the reindeer fabric and 1/4 yard of the purple and it was barely enough for my four year old. I forgot to take into account the directional pattern of the main fabric. I was originally planning to make the sleeves from the main fabric but they would have been going the wrong direction (lengthwise down her arm), so I went with the purple instead. I'm glad I did because I think it looks much better. I also made sure to make the armhole extra deep because some of the comments said they had trouble getting the arms through because it was too small. I also added the ruffles instead of hemming. I love the way this turned out. It's big and loose and comfy on her, and so cute. I think she'll be able to get a couple of years out of this one. 

Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Project Journal: Car Seat Blanket and Teddy Bear Baby Shower Gift

Completed: June 2013

Car Seat Blanket  
Pattern: Car Seat Swaddle Blanket by Made By Marzipan (I can't link to the individual pattern, you have to search from the home page)
Materials: Nursery Fabric-Elephant Splash Packed Elephants and green polka dot fleece from Joann Fabrics
Notes: This was a very straight forward pattern and came together really quickly. I didn't like the look of the unfinished holes for the straps so I zig zagged around them in a contrasting color (orange). I thought about adding a blanket stitch edging around the outside but I liked the modern look of the orange around the holes and decided to leave it. 

Teddy Bear:
Pattern: Molly's Sketchbook: Wool and Liberty Teddy Bear from The Purl Bee
Materials: Same as above
Notes: The pattern for this bear is extremely well written. I've never sewed a stuffed animal before but the tutorial made it so easy that it all came together beautifully. I thoroughly enjoyed the process and would definitely make it again.

Project Journal: Mother's Day Handkerchiefs

Completed: April 2013
Pattern: Molly's Sketchbook: Herringbone Handkerchiefs from The Purl Bee

Notes: I really enjoyed making these. I made two each for my mom and my mother-in-law. They were really simple and helped me practice my embroidery skills. The herringbone stitch was really fun and easy once I got the hang of it. The most difficult part was planning out the cross stitched monogram so that the embroidery was clean looking on the back. 

I used fabric and embroidery floss from my stash.